Usage Instructions EP90 MegaPrime Epoxy Primer
MEGAPRIME EP-90 UNIVERSAL CLEAR EPOXY PRIMER
SPECIALLY FORMULATED FOR DURABAK AND OTHER POLYURETHANE, EPOXY, ACRYLIC, POLYESTER & MOST WATER-BASED & SOLVENT-BASED TOPCOATS
- Excellent adhesion and flexibility
- Fast drying time
- For interior and exterior use
- Prevents rust & corrosion
MEGAPRIME EP-90 Universal Epoxy Primer is an easy-to-use, low viscosity primer suitable for all polyurethane, epoxy, acrylic, polyester, water-based & solvent-based topcoats.
It cures to provide exceptional adhesion to a variety of substrates, with the additional flexibility required for urethane. It provides a cost-effective coverage rate and a fast drying time even at low temperatures. MEGAPRIME EP-90 is ideal for concrete, plaster, most metals (see surface prep), wood, stone and existing coatings. MEGAPRIME EP-90 has minimal solvent content and low odor suitable for interior & exterior applications.
MEGAPRIME EP-90 inhibits metal corrosion.
Ensure all substrates are thoroughly dry, clean, sound and free from any contaminants such as dirt, rust, salt, algae and grease. MEGAPRIME EP-90 exhibits good adhesion to all porous substrates and most non-porous substrates with the exception of certain types of aluminum (see surface prep for aluminum) and stainless steel.
- Steel: Abrade surface lightly and remove any surface rust or mill scale by sanding, wire brushing, with a chipping hammer or sandblasting. A rust convertor may be necessary for rust that can’t all be removed.
- Galvanized Steel: Clean away grease and dirt with a suitable galvanized Steel cleaner until a water break-free surface (water does not bead up on surface) is attained. Lightly abrade the surface. Rinse well with water and allow to dry.
- Aluminum: Abrade to fresh metal, clean well using detergent. Apply within 2 hours before oxides can reform. A test area is recommended with certain grades of aluminum, especially aircraft & marine grades, which may be difficult to bond to.
- Concrete & other porous surfaces: Allow new concrete at least 28 days to cure (moisture content should be below 10%). Non-porous concrete must be acid-etched with muriatic acid (straight or diluted), washed with 5% ammonia solution, rinsed well and dried.
- Wood: Abrade with 450-600 grit sandpaper, clean and allow to completely dry before application.
- Fiberglass: Abrade well, solvent wipe with xylene (or any other solvent) and apply MEGAPRIME EP-90
- PVC: Abrade with 600-800 grit sandpaper and clean well using xylene (or any other solvent). Allow to dry before application.
- Glazed tiles: MEGAPRIME EP-90 is not suitable for glazed tile.
- Gloss Paints and Varnish: Abrade with a scouring pad or medium grit sandpaper to remove all gloss. Solvent wipe with xylene (or any other solvent), allow to dry before application.
- Ferrous metals: Remove heavy dirt and rust. Use a rust convertor for rust that cannot be removed. Sand lightly, clean thoroughly before application.
- Stone: Clean thoroughly with soapy water. Brush with a wire brush. Solvent wipe and apply once dry.
- Apply at temperatures between 41°F-95°F
- Take care when opening as contents may be under pressure.
- Wear safety goggles and protective gloves.
- After substrates have been prepared, ensure they are completely dry, tests for adhesion have been completed and areas not to be coated have been masked off.
- Stir part A with a mixing stick for at least 2 minutes until homogeneous before use, using a flat paddle. Add part B to part A and stir again for at least 2 minutes. (part B needs no stirring).
- Apply at a rate of 41-76 sf/qt., or a wet film thickness (WFT) of 5-6.5 mils.
- Apply with a short nap roller, brush or spray gun (enamel spray gun or HVLP spray gun. (Air pressure 4 bar. Nozzle size 1.4mm).
- Curing time:
(i) At 68°F: the coating will be suitable for over coating, after touch-dry, in 4-24 hours.
(ii) At 43°F: the coating will be suitable for over coating in 8 hours.
When over coating, make sure there is no water on the surface of the EP-90.
If left for more than 24 hours, without over coating, lightly sand & remove dust. Then recoat.
- 60-81 sf per quart per coat. Applied in a single coat application.
(One quart can cover the square footage for one gal. of Durabak).
- Coverage will vary depending on the porosity and profile of the surface.
REMOVING MEGAPRIME EP-90
- Uncured MEGAPRIME EP-90 can be cleaned using any solvent.
- Cured MEGAPRIME EP-90: Can be removed with MEK
(Methyl Ethyl Ketone), paint stripper or by mechanical means.
- Remove any spills immediately as MEGAPRIME EP90 is very difficult to remove once cured.
CLEANING MEGAPRIME EP-90
Use hot soapy water or any solvent to clean the surface of the cured MEGAPRIME EP-90.
(NOTE: Do not let the solvent sit on the surface of the cured MEGAPRIME EP-90 for more than a few minutes)
- Please read all instructions carefully before starting the project.
- Proper surface preparation is critical for successful application of MEGAPRIME EP-90.
- Take care when lifting and carrying. In transit, keep tightly closed in a secure upright position.
- Do not dilute with water or solvents.
- Do not apply outdoors if rain is anticipated within the expected curing time. Apply when ambient and surface temperatures are 41°F to 95°F.
- Pot life is 60 minutes
- Shelf life approx. 3+ years
- Keep cool and protect against freezing.
- Observe local disposal regulations.
CAUTION: When part B is mixed with part A, the mixed primer increasingly heats up. This is normal
FLUIDAR (Aromatic 100)
CAS number: 64742-75-6; 64742-88-7 & 71-43-2
Flammable liquid and vapour. Causes skin irritation.
Keep away from heat/sparks/open flames/hot surfaces – No smoking. Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face protection. In case of inadequate ventilation
wear respiratory protection.
IF ON SKIN: Wash with plenty of soap and water. IF IN EYES: Rinse with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, continue rinsing for several more minutes.
Store in a well-ventilated area. Keep the container tightly closed.
Dispose of contents according to local regulations.
VOC: ≤ 80 g/l
MEGAPRIME EP-90 EPOXY CURATIVE
MEGAPRIME EP-90 Epoxy Curative (Part B) must only be used with MEGAPRIME EP-90 Universal Epoxy Primer (Part A).
There is no need to stir Part B.
The entire contents of Part B must be added to Part A.
Stir Part A & Part B together well with a flat paddle for at least 2 minutes or more, until the mixture is completely homogenous.
For detailed Application instructions, please refer to Part A.
Harmful if swallowed.
Causes severe skin burns and eye damage.
May cause an allergic skin reaction.
Suspected of causing genetic defects.