Fiberglass Boat application (also “Gel Coat”)
- 2 stipple roller sleeves per gallon (Included with purchase of textured gallon) or short nap roller, like a 3/16” mohair or similar for a smooth application.
- 40 grit Sandpaper
- Xylene (Xylol) OR Solvide
- Stir stick or electric paint mixer
- Roller Tray
- Cloth or sturdy cotton rag
- Paint Gloves
- Household non-chlorinated detergent, like Spic n Span
- 3M Blue tape (Optional)
- Paint Respirator (Optional)
- Clean the surface thoroughly, with a non-chlorinated household detergent
- Rough up the surface with 40 grit sandpaper
- Wipe down the surface with Solvide or xylene on a cloth and once completely dry, apply the Durabak.
- NOTE: On laminated resin a primer is required, or best to re-fiberglass it.
- Do not open can until surface is prepped and ready to go.
- Then open can and stir well.
- Pour a portion into a roller tray and begin application.
- Roll on first coat of textured using Durabak stipple roller sleeve, or a short nap roller for the smooth Durabak.
- Use a paint brush in corners and hard to reach areas.
- Stir occasionally while working with the product.
- Keep lid on can while not in use.
1 gallon of smooth Durabak covers roughly 75-80 square feet in our standard 2 coat application.
1 gallon of textured Durabak covers approximately 60 square feet in our standard 2 coat application.
Good to Know
- Durabak begins to cure with exposure to air, so minimize exposure to air while working with it.
- The consistency of the Durabak should be runny, as it’s self leveling. If it’s thicker, you can add up to 15% xylene to thin it. It should be mixable after adding the xylene and back to a runny form. If it’s pasty and thick, DO NOT APPLY, rather reach out to us for assistance.
- You will have a few hours of work time once the can is opened (3 to 5 hours normally).
- A second coat can be applied after 1-2 hours, once the first coat is touch dry.
- After second coat is applied allow 24 hours before walking on it. Complete cure is about 5 or 6 days, so no heavy use until then.
- Temp should ideally be 60 degrees or above for the application, and above 40% humidity.
- Xylene should be applied immediately to clean up any misapplied Durabak.
- If taping off, use 3M Blue tape and remove immediately after second coat is applied.