Durabak Adhesion Test
Before applying Durabak, always do a small test for adhesion:
- Clean surface thoroughly with a non-chlorinated detergent.
- Roughen surface with 40-grit sandpaper
- Wipe with Xylene or Solvide
- Once completely dry, apply 1st coat of Durabak
- Once touch dry (normally 1-2 hrs), apply 2nd coat of Durabak
- Let dry for a couple of days.
- Take a screwdriver and try to peel the Durabak off the surface. (The Durabak isn’t fully cured yet, so you should be able to get under it).
- If it comes up in small pieces, you have a good bond.
- If it comes up in sheets, you need to prime with something compatible with the substrate, and which can be overcoated with a polyurethane.
- Repeat the adhesion test with the new primer.