Boat Carpet Alternatives & Replacement Guide
Boat Carpet Alternatives
Woven vinyl flooring panels bypass this issue by using a high-density weave and UV and moisture-resistant materials. Woven vinyl flooring is easy to clean and can be sanitized with heavy-duty chlorine-based cleaners, making them perfect as a bass boat carpet replacement.
You can browse our boat paint options. Textured, Smooth and 16+ Color options!
How to Apply Durabak for Boat Flooring
Durabak marine paint is easy to apply using a spray gun or roller and requires no professional installation. The flexible formula is self-leveling and fills in any chips or cracks in your boat floor surface.
It is recommended that you apply a coat of smooth Durabak, followed by 1-2 coats of textured Durabak for a boat carpet replacement, as this will create a comfortable walking surface and provide outstanding grip even in choppy water.
- Begin by preparing the boat floor. Remove old boat carpet, and clean the surface with a non-chlorinated household cleaner, and allow it to dry completely.
- Use 60 grit sandpaper to lightly rough up the surface.
- For aluminum or metal boat floors, apply a coat of self-etching primer such as Metcote or zinc phosphate. Durabak must be applied before the primer’s curing window is complete. Check the primer manufacturer’s instructions for the curing time, and apply the first coat of Durabak in the first 3rd of the primer’s overcoat window.
- For fiberglass and wooden boat floors, wipe the roughened surface with a solvent such as Xylene or Solvide and allow it to dry.
- Open one can of smooth Durabak and stir. Only open the can when your boat floor is completely prepared, as the paint begins to cure when exposed to air.
- Pour a small amount of Durabak into a roller tray and close the can.
- Using a stipple roller sleeve, apply a coat of smooth Durabak to the boat surface. Use a paintbrush to access tight corners and paint around the edges of your boat seats.
- When the first coat is dry to the touch, usually 1-2 hours after application, open a can of textured Durabak, stir and pour into another roller tray.
- Use a separate roller to apply the coat of textured Durabak over the first smooth coat. For wooden boats, you may need to apply a third coat of Durabak, as wood is more absorbent than other materials.
- Allow the boat floor to cure for 24 hours before walking on it and 5-6 days before heavy-duty use.
Due to the high-pile texture and fibrous material, boat carpeting is not ideally suited for boat flooring. You can improve your boat’s look and safety by using high-quality boat carpet alternatives such as Durabak to line the deck.
Durabak marine paint has been used by boat owners for over 25 years to create long-lasting, comfortable, non-slip flooring. With an extensive selection of colors to choose from, you’re sure to find a shade to suit your style. Contact us at (303) 690-7190 to find out more about the Durabak range and how you can use Durabak for various marine applications.