METCOTE™ is a quick-drying single-pack anti corrosion heat-resistant etch primer polyvinyl butyral coating for non porous surfaces. It can be used on iron, steel, aluminum, fiberglass, concrete, and other porous surfaces.
- Primer for DURABAK™ and DURABAK 18™
- Primer for metal and fibreglass surfaces
- Heat resistant metal coating (up to 428°F)
- A postblast primer on steel work
- One part
- Excellent adhesion to metal
- Quick drying (30 minutes at 77°F)
- Can be topcoated with most paints after dry
- Good resistance to acid, alkali and water
- Non flammable when cured
- Shelf life 2+ years. Once opened, can be reclosed and will remain useable for a long period afterwards. If product begins to thicken, it can be thinned with lacquer thinner, MEK, Propanol, Acetone or other similar polar solvents.
Approximately 145 sq. ft./quart.
All surfaces must be clean of dirt and release agents, dry, firm and free of rust and mill scale. All surfaces should be roughened. METCOTE will provide a fair bond to smooth surfaces, but roughening the surface will greatly improve adhesion.
Abrade the surface with 60 to 80 grit sand paper. If abrasive blasting is desired, the blast profile should not exceed 50 microns (or 2 mils).
Abrade with 60 to 80 grit sandpaper, then rinse with solvent (listed above).
NOTE: The finished surface on all substrates should have a scored, roughened profile for best adhesion.
- Stir METCOTE™ well.
- Apply thinly (less than 1.7 mils) by brush or roller
- For conventional spray application, thin with lacquer thinners (approx 20%) to 16-20 secs (Ford Cup 4).
23°F – 122°F
NOTE: Lacquer thinners must not come into contact with DURABAK™ or DURABAK 18™ Allow METCOTE™ to dry completely before overcoating with either DURABAK™ or DURABAK 18™.